I am a Professor in the School of Economics, Banking and Finance, Fiji National University (FNU), Nasinu Campus, Suva, Fiji Islands. Before joining FNU, I was teaching at the University of the South Pacific (USP), Suva, Fiji Island for about 14 years until August 2012. Earlier, I was a Senior Economist with the Manila-based Asian Development Bank (ADB) for more than 15 years.
- Readings in Monetary Economics of Pacific Islands (2012), published by USP Book Centre; (with B.D.Ward)
- Issues in Monetary Economics of the South Pacific Island Countries (2003), published by USP Book Centre; (with B.D.Ward)
- A Single Currency for Pacific Island Countries (2012) published by Nova Science Publishers, New York, (with P. Narayan)
- Issues in Monetary and Fiscal Policy in Small Developing States: A Case Study of the Pacific (2012), published by Commonwealth Secretariat, London
- Financial Sector Development and Private Investment in Vanuatu (2003),published by Macmillan Brown Centre for Pacific Studies, University of Canterbury, Christchurch, New Zealand
- Economic Cooperation in the Indian Sub-continent: a Customs Union Approach (1978), published by Orient Longman, Bombay
- Bachelor of Arts (University of Madras, India)
- Diploma in Economic Administration (Delhi School of Economics, India)
- Master of Arts (University of Hawaii, Hawaii)
- Doctor of Philosophy (University of Hawaii, Hawaii)
- Gold Medal (Bachelor of Arts - Hons)
- Recipient of East West Centre Grant for Master
- Fulbright-Mundt Travel Grant for Ph.D program
- Doctoral Internship, Technology Development Institute, East West Center
paper on Determinants of Foreign Direct
Investment in the South Pacific Island Countries: a case study of Fiji
was adjudged the Best Conference Paper, presented at the University of
Sussex’s World Association for Sustainable Development (WASD)
Second Conference on Globalization, Technology and Development, held at
the University of Arab Emirates, Al Ain, December 2005. The full
citation of the article is: “Determinants of Foreign Direct
in the South Pacific Island Countries: A Case Study of Fiji”,
World Review of Entrepreneurship, Management, and Sustainable Development,
2(4) 2006: 309-322.
My article on Economic Integration in
the Pacific: A Review of Past Efforts and Future Prospects won the
Vice-Chancellor’s (Inaugural) 2008 Prize for Best Staff
Publication. The Full citation of the award winning article is
“Economic Integration in the Pacific: Review of Past Efforts
Prospects”, Chapter 8 in E. Kisanga and S. Danchie (Eds.)
Small States: Issues and Prospects, London: Commonwealth Secretariat,
- Professor, School of Economics, Business and Finance, Fiji National University, Nasinu Campus, Fiji Islands
- Associate Professor, School of Economics, Faculty of Business and Economics, The University of the South Pacific, Suva, Fiji Islands
- Post Doctoral Research Scholar Macmillan Brown Centre for Pacific Studies, University of Canterbury, Christchurch, NZ. (Aug 1997-June 1998)
- Senior Economist, Asian Development Bank (1982-1997)
- Visiting Lecturer, University of Hawaii,
Honolulu, Hawaii (Summer 1996, 1997, 1998, Spring 2002 and Summer 2003)
- Visiting Lecturer for MBA program, The
University of the South Pacific, 1997
- Visiting Lecturer, Pacific Island Studies,
University of Canterbury, NZ, 1997-98.
- International Collaborative Partner, Global Research Network Program, UTAR, Malaysia.
- University of Hawaii
- Reserve Bank of Fiji
- Growth and oil price: A study of causal relationships in small Pacific Island countries.
- Does external debt lead to economic growth in Pacific island countries?
- Role of Remittances in Economic Growth in Pacific Island Countries: A Study of Samoa.
- Financial Sector Development and Growth in Fiji: An Analysis of Credit Boom and Its Implications